Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bony changes

When you're about the start the healthy life/weight loss journey, you can be pretty excited at the beginning. Impatient even. When you have 10+ kg to lose and you've lost 3kg so far, you're just ITCHING to get there.

I knew my body would change, but I wasn't mentally prepared for it. I've been overweight for the vast majority of my life, so an overweight body is what I know. I don't know what my body as a healthy weight body should look or feel like. When it changes, and you're not mentally prepared, it can be quite unsettling.

Firstly, if you're exercising regularly and continually upping the intensity, you'll get fitter. This one didn't take me much mental adjustment. When I run for the bus, or back to class, I love that I don't get out of breath. I love that running is natural movement for me now.

The really mentally unsettling changes for me were the bony ones. All of a sudden I could see and feel BONE, instead of the fat padding I was used to.

When you lose a significant amount of weight in a relatively short period of time, your mind needs to catch up to the bodily changes. I wasn't mentally prepared to see my face become angular or see my ribs stick out when I'm doing my hair. I was shocked to feel bone when I had put my hands on my hips.

Those changes really freaked me out because I didn't know how to process them. I've never recalled seeing my ribs. I've always known myself with a round face. I didn't know what to make of these changes. They really unsettled me.

So how to prepare for the changes?
  • Before the change occurs, be aware that you will look differently, and it may surprise you.

  • If you do get freaked out when the changes occur, acknowledge that it freaks you out.

  • Accept these changes because this is what a healthy body looks and feels like.

  • Accept that it's foreign to you.

  • If it really freaks you out, go see a doctor to make sure you aren't losing too much weight or to get peace of mind.

  • If it helps, share the freak out with a friend
(You can read more about the bony changes I've experienced here)

No comments:

Post a Comment