Monday, August 10, 2009

Paying more for less

I am frustrated by how much more expensive colour-free and fragrance-free products are. You'd think logically they should cost less, because they have less ingredients in them. Colour and fragrance are potential skin irritants and I'm keen to avoid them because I have sensitive skin on my hands.

Shampoo and conditioner
The "cheapest" shampoo and conditioner that I can find at the pharmacy is Simple (which sells for about $8 for 200mL) and Dermaveen (about $15 for 500mL). That's just too expensive considering you can get a good supermarket brand on sale for about $3 for 300mL (I use $1/100mL as a guide for a good price). Another option is to buy the raw shampoo ingredient itself from a place like New Directions, where you can get shampoo for $9 for 1L.

Skin care products
Its slightly easier finding a cleanser. In the past I've used Cetaphil. Currently, I'm using Olay. A toner is harder to find. I'm using Nivea Visage, where "parfum" (i.e. fragrance) is the last ingredient listed (so it's in the smallest quantity). Simple does have a skincare line, so maybe I should try them out. Paula's Choice also has a range of skin care products, but it is a bit more expensive than your supermarket brand. I'm using Vaseline Lotion as a body moisturiser. For body wash, I'm using Redwin Sorbelene Wash.

Other
The one fragrance-free and colour-free washing detergent I can find is OMO Sensitive, and its the most expensive one on the shelf. I have noticed a fragrance-reduced dishwashing detergent, but again, it was more expensive than the rest.

The problem is, women love fragrance and colour in their products. Think about. What's the first thing you do when you test a new skin care product?

3 comments:

  1. I love the amount of detail you provide. Well-researched frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add - for handwash, I am using Cetaphil, and when that runs out, Redwin Sorbelene Wash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about QV cream? That's fragrance-free and not too expensive.

    ReplyDelete