Monday, August 17, 2009

Bearing the Heart of a Woman

Jelssie has kindly allowed me to write a guest post for their blog. What a privilege!

Recently, a couple close to me have announced that they're expecting a little bundle of joy. As I move from one age bracket to another, I've noticed that I also move from attending 18th birthday parties, to weddings & then baby showers.

This has brought up a few questions for me on motherhood. As single women, how are we to think of motherhood as a good gift from God? If we don't get to personally experience what motherhood is like, do we somehow miss out on God's plan for us as women? How do we fit into God's plan as single women?

I wrote a post on my own blog about this earlier on this year. Would love to hear your thoughts.

"Wow! I can't believe I'm on Jelssie!" -- Jess Jo

7 comments:

  1. I'm not really exposed to mums and babies all that much, so the desire for kids is not really an issue for me. I would like to be married, and in a distant general way I would like to have a family, but it is a long way away from me.

    I have been trying to take little opportunities to mingle with babies and kids a bit more, because I thought I was getting a bit TOO far removed.

    So my thinking/experience has been in a different direction...

    ReplyDelete
  2. But what do people think about womanhood? I'd like to say that motherhood is not an essential part of that, but I can't find anything to support that. All I can see in Scripture is that Eve was created to be a mother. Of course, this is all before the fall.

    If it is indeed non-essential, how are single women different from single men in terms of their roles in Creation & how we glorify God?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't say that Eve was created to be a mother. She was first and foremost created to be a fit helper for Adam (Genesis 2:18).

    I think Eve being a mother has more to do with her and Adam fulfilling God's command of being fruitful, multiplying and having dominion over creation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elsie - I agree. I guess I was wondering more on your second point...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heheheh...I don't know where I'm going with my second point :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that things are different this side of the Cross. Our purpose and role in creation has been fulfilled in Christ. Not to say that motherhood isn't an important part of being a women.

    When it comes to it being essential or not - Our humanity is made complete in Christ. Both single men and women are to live their lives bringing glory to God. Not to mention, that this is the call for married men and women also.

    In perspective marriage is only for this age anyways. As humanity, we are to live out our lives in worship of God, no matter male or female. Our roles may differ in how we do this, but we are to strive to bring God glory in all areas of our life.

    In this fallen state children don't necessarily come easily for some married's either. Are you to say that a married women who is unable to bear children hasn't fulfilled her role in glorifying God? Certainly not!

    This is the time of the harvest.

    ReplyDelete