Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Check Your Theory theory.

I was telling Emma about my banana bread this morning. She voiced her desperation about being unable to find a recipe for really thick, moist, cafe-style banana bread, and I sympathised because mine had turned out too light and fluffy, and also I overbaked it because I forgot to turn on the timer.

Also I mentioned that my baking powder was out of date, so I had doubled the amount to compensate for a decrease in effectiveness. Emma informed me that No, you don't have to. Baking powder is one of those things that is like salt, and doesn't really expire or lose it's magic power.

I remember forming the idea that expired baking powder lost it's magic power two years ago, when I baked something and it failed. It made sense to blame the expired ingredient. And yeast expires, so it was logical that other raising agents must also expire. I've repeated the explanation to people. But apparently it's not true.

So it was a reminder to me that not every clever theory is true. Just like when you're a kid and you figure out how TV works, but it's not how it really works, but your little brothers and sisters believe you.

5 comments:

  1. Try Bill Granger's banana bread recipe. Foolproof & oh-so-delicious! :)

    http://www.smh.com.au/news/recipes/baking-better-banana-bread/2007/06/18/1182019011927.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I was only kidding when I said you had to post about this. And fix your apostrophes, young lady!!

    Guess who?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had nothing else to say!

    Grr, I know a bit about apostrophes but sometimes I just have to guess. Its. It's. Anyway, since when do you approve of multiple exclamation points?!

    Hooray for finally succeeding to comment.

    And Jess Jo, I have made that bread, it is very delicious! But I think the fat content is lower than the cafe bread or something, cos it still doesn't handle the same. Delicious but crumbly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jess, I can't keep quiet any longer - baking powder can go off, you were right all along. Moral to the story: if you check the facts of a clever theory when you first hear of it, you avoid bad baking experiences! Maybe Emma was thinking of Baking Soda?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess, if you're still looking for a b bread recipe, I posted my favourite one on my blog yesterday. It's moist and super yummy.

    http://gnomeawayfromgnome.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete