Thursday, August 27, 2009

"No coffee coffee, no teachee teachee"

Jess and I aren't coffee drinkers. So I assume she feels the same way I do: that is, I don't really understand people when they say they can't function without coffee in the morning. Is it the ritual? Is it the drink? Or is it sitting down and allowing your body to wake up?

I tried to think of an equivalent for me, something that would make me understand. I can't function in the morning without drinking water (I wake up super thirsty, at least I do nowadays). I can't function without a 30 minute sleep in (or a 30 minute struggle to awaken, if you will). I love love love listening to the radio in the morning. I can function without breakfast for an hour or so (I have to be distracted though!).

So what is it about coffee that enables addicts to function in the morning? What might be a non-coffee example to help me understand?

Bonus points to anyone who knows where my title comes from!

6 comments:

  1. If you're a regular coffee drinker, then your morning cup of coffee acts like a couple of panadol to offset the massive headache that you would otherwise have. It also speeds up your thinking, for a little while, which easily becomes part of the "start the day" ritual.

    A regular coffee drinker might expect five or more days of such headaches if they quit coffee, so there's a strong incentive to keep going!

    No idea about the quote, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually the biggest turn-off for me is the addiction factor. I don't want my brain function or mood to be dependant on coffee. It's a shame, because coffee seems an otherwise enjoyable drink, and has a massive social role. Meeting up with friends for a drink of water doesn't have the same ring.

    Ditto the quote, sounds familiar but no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coffee works by stimulating the production of adrenaline. It is a socially acceptable 'start-up' drug.

    The quote's new to me. Are you sure it's not "no coffee no workee"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good cup of coffee, but I'm not an addict. I weaned myself off after uni... haha

    Now when I say "Let's go for coffee", I really mean "Let's go for a cup of Chai." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember talking to an old Italian man and he was telling me his shock that people drink so much coffee in a day. He said in Italy, cappuccinos were only for breakfast time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. About the quote: I may have misquoted it. I was thinking of Mr G from Summer Heights High. He may have said instead "Coffee coffee coffee before we teachee teachee teachee!"

    ReplyDelete