Wednesday, August 5, 2009

An exercise in patience

(A lunchtime post!)

The time from when I buy a pair of pants to when I can wear them out is an exercise in patience.

You see, I can rarely wear pants straight off the rack. I usually need to get about 15cm chopped off the hem (out of curiosity, does ANYONE wear pants straight off the rack without alteration?).

And my mum is of the school of thought that you should wash your newly bought jeans and warm tumble dry them, so they shrink (a bit) to their "real" size" before you hem them (rather than hem them -> wash & dry them -> shrinkage -> pants too short).

Once they are washed and dried, I take them to a seamstress on the other side of the Harbour Bridge (she only charges $10 and she does a great job). She usually takes a week.

The timeline is:
- buy pants
- wait for next wash cycle
- once washed and dried, wait for next trip over the Bridge
- once hemmed, wait for next trip over the Bridge to pick them up.

Shortest time frame: one week. Realistic time frame: two to four weeks.

I could just get them altered locally :P

I have found that drying my Bonds trackies in a hot dryer shrunk them nearly to the right length. No hemming required!

2 comments:

  1. I have shop length legs, I'm close enough not to bother with alterations.

    That shrinkage thing can work for or against you. I bought 2 pairs this year (one cos I needed some and then I found a bargain so had to buy them) and the first pair was just right and are now almost too short, the second pair were too long and are now almost just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buy pants and they are already too short for me... so I just wear them with my havianas so that it doesn't look too weird. Because if I wear them with sneakers/other shoes, you get this weird naked ankle effect! :S

    ReplyDelete