Thursday, August 2, 2012

Bus surfing.

I used to get a seat on the morning bus about 50% of the time. Now I think it's about 1 in 10. But I have a pretty short bus ride usually, 15-20 minutes, so I have embraced the standing up. Standing up is good for you, and I sit at a computer all day, so this is a good opportunity. Also, there are certain things about standing that I enjoy. I don't mind the way you have to brace against the brakes. It's sort of like standing in the sea and bracing against waves. You stand sideways and lean. I try and rely on my balance as much as possibly, rather than my arms. Try and engage the core muscles. Also, if I'm standing, I can face directly into the morning sun, which makes me feel good. And finally, if I stand on the bus, I jump off at the first stop and walk a bit further to work. It's quite refreshing after a packed overheated bus. If I don't tussle to get ON the bus first, then I can often get a better standing position near a door and get OFF it more quickly. The last shall be first.

No comments:

Post a Comment