Monday, August 27, 2012

Tidying beyond convention.

In the free time at Engage, I spontaneously helped the friend of a friend tidy up her house for her in-laws to visit on Saturday afternoon. One of those crafty people who see potential in everything and have more inspiration than discipline in their life. I really couldn't sit there and do cross-stitch while she flapped around among the mess and babies saying "I'm just not motivated" so I offered to help her. She said "oh you don't have to" and I explained "I'm that kind of person" (the interfering helpfully sort). And I do believe that other people's mess is a bit easier to work with, because you are undistracted by the sentimental value of the mess, and can get more quickly to the satisfying 'before and after' transformation. Anyway, it was a weird and sort of taking-over thing to do in an almost strangers' house (it was the second time I was visiting), but on the other hand it was a practical and loving way to help, I think... it's hard to know where the boundaries are, sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment