Monday, July 23, 2012

The secret of the challenge.

How exciting and mysterious is that title! Point made.

I'm currently doing a "don't buy clothes until the end of the year" challenge. It's not really about saving money for 6 months, it's about wardrobe efficiency. I want to refine my wardrobe over a few seasons so that in future I only buy what I need, and no longer end up with things I don't wear. Partly inspired by living out of a suitcase for several weeks, but also by Soph's post (see point 2) and by the women who have done things like only wear blue jeans and black tshirts all year. I've wanted to do something like that for ages.

You may have noticed that I do a lot of 'challenges'. This is why:
  • A change is as good as a holiday. I get bored with routine sometimes, and changing things around for a little while is refreshing.
  • A 'challenge' is a positive and exciting thing. It's more fun than just doing something hard. 'No clothes shopping' is not fun. But a 'wardrobe discipline challenge' is cool. It's way to spin a positive out of something that you might have to do (save money or eat less chocolate) which would otherwise be tiresome.
  • A challenge usually comes with an end date. I do 'one month no chocolate' or 'one month no supermarkets' so I know it's only for a little while. It might hopefully be long enough to change my habits, but at least it's doable because there is an end date.

No comments:

Post a Comment