Thursday, July 26, 2012

Should I use the box cutlery?

I received a set of Maxwell and Williams cutlery from my parents for a present a few years ago. So I kept it in the box. I recently decided that I should have it handy for visitors, rather than in the top of my wardrobe, so I sewed bags and now keep them in the bottom kitchen drawer. My parents still keep theirs in the box, and get out the "box cutlery" on special occasions, but they don't have a very high standard. If you don't live there, you get the "box cutlery". If you live there, it's red plastic handles. That's pretty much how I've operated. If you are a visitor, I get out the nice set, if it's me or K it's yucky plastic handles.

But, what am I saving them for? I love the ad (which I cant find on youtube) for tea that is about not saving stuff for special occasions but making ordinary life special. I believe that. I try not to put things away anymore for some perfect future when I am married or have a really nice house or both. I might as well enjoy where I am and where I will be for the foreseeable future. So I've been working my way up to throwing out the yucky cheap cutlery and using the good set every day. Or at least, half the set, and keep some in the bags still because I don't want to waste the bags now.

And as a friend pointed out, unused cutlery will only go out of fashion anyway. I didn't think of that in relation to cutlery, only clothes, but it's true. I know a 70s steak knife when I see it. So that cliches that. Tonight is the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment