Saturday, February 18, 2012

Purposeful name forgetting

Sometimes, I "forget" people's names on purpose.

Say, I met someone at a function and I see them again at some point in the future. Usually, people don't remember my name (or if they do, they call me Elise) and it's just awkward for both of us if I'm the one who remembered their name (and it's so unusual to remember people's name, it makes me feel like a freak), so it's just easier to say, "Oh hey, aren't you Jess' friend from blah? Didn't I meet you at yada yada? My name's Elsie." Usually reminding them of your name prompts them to re-introduce themselves.

I never expect people to remember my name, so when I decide to use their name, I go, "Hey, it's Jess, right? I met you at xyz. I'm Elsie." It's helpful to give your name without people having to ask for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment