Sunday, February 5, 2012

How I organised my work handbag

I put a bit of thought into organising my day-to-day handbag for work and I'm pretty chuffed with the results.

Firstly, here is my beautiful blue handbag, which my generous sister bought for me, second-hand from Tokyo. Thank you, Ali!


On the side of the handbag, there is a pocket and a tag with a hole in it. To this hole, I attached a short, black leather strap with a key ring at one end, and a hook-keyring (which you push down to open and close) at the other end. At this end, I have attached a ticket holder. Here, I'll put my travel pass and tuck into the side pocket of the handbag, which means I can easily fish it out when I get on public transport, and I won't lose it because it's attached securely to my handbag.

[In an ideal world, Sydney's public transport ticketing system would be more technologically advanced and we'd be able to just tap our transport passes against the ticket machine, rather than fish out our tickets and insert them into the machines.]


Inside my handbag, there is a D ring, so I've attached a bright yellow, retractable key ring. The bright colour means it will be easy to find in my bag (a lovely contrast to the blue as well), and the retractable cord means I'll be able to open my mailbox and front door more easily, knowing it's still securely attached to my handbag, meaning I have less chance of losing my keys.

Finally, the contents of my bag. I've organised most of the contents into four bags. This is so that "like" is stored with "like" and things will be easier to fish out of my bag. The bags are also transparent (or transparent enough), so that I can see the contents at a glance.

Bag 1: Frequently used items
- hand cream
- lip balm
- lip stick
- pocket mirror
- tissues
- mints
I considered including sunscreen, but for the moment, I have decided against it.

Bag 2: Fun
- iPod touch
- headphones

Bag 3: Less frequently used items
- female stuff (you know what I mean)
- band aids
- face oil blotting paper
- paper soap
- travel hairbrush
- Panadol (which have probably expired)

Bag 4: Writing
- thin, monthly calendar/diary
- thin notebook
- pacer and two pens


Other stuff, such as my wallet, mobile, glasses, sunnies and fan, I'm just chucking in as is. There is enough room for a thin paperback, otherwise I will have to carry a book separately (or get a Kindle!). I've decided not to carry water because I should be able to last my commute without a drink.

Hopefully, you can see that the aim of all this is to make it easier to find stuff in a bag without compartments.

I do have a bag organiser (another bag with lots of compartments which you put inside your handbag to organise its contents), but I'll see how I go with this.

How do you organise your bag?

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you are PREPARED.
    I organise my handbag as follows.
    1. use a backpack if carrying much, as it is better for your back.
    2. Right hand external pocket: keys and phone.
    3. Left hand external pocket: ipod and hanky.
    4. Tiny front pocket: lip balm and occasionally a travel 10.
    5. Main area: everything else. Purse plus what I need that day eg umbrella, food, jumpers or gym clothes.
    I like your ticket and key access though. Nifty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. You are amazing. You need to share some of that talent into the world of nappy bags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I'd be up for that challenge! Maybe you should blog about nappy bags :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are a major organiser! I like the retractable keyring thing. What happens if you change bags though? Do those things work on all your bags?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stick to this bag Mon-Fri. On the weekends, I usually carry less stuff, use a different bag and make sure I take my keys, travel pass and wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it Elsie. Absolutely awesome!
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can testify that Elsie can always find what I ask her for.

    ReplyDelete