Thursday, January 26, 2012

Mainstream, and we're cool with that

Jess and I like borrowing books of mainstream authors from local public libraries.

Photo by Georgina

I'm holding a copy of The Litigators by John Grisham, a very fun read.

Since I'll be doing quite a bit of commuting this year, I thought about getting a Kindle, an e-reader. I decided to do a little experiment first.

Firstly, to see how much I would actually read while commuting. If I do read, then more points towards getting a Kindle.

Secondly, to look at the cost of books I would want to read on the Kindle. On this point, the Kindle loses because books from the library are free (and I don't even have to keep them afterwards) and second-hand books are cheaper. However, a Kindle is thin and carries many books!

Currently, I am sticking to books.

1 comment:

  1. Heh! we've double posted the photo.

    Very good idea to test theory before investing in it. When something is cool you get excited and justify it with false promises, like "I'll get fit and be able to wear it", "I'll be able to have co-ordinated bakeware" etc. Actually testing the cost-benefit ratio is a sensible idea. Because then you know if it's useful. If you never bake, no point buying matching red bakeware. If you realise you are too tired to read on the bus after work, kindle will be wasted.

    ReplyDelete