Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A life with no fridge.

Sunday night's storm left me with the great appliance massacre of 2012. [skip this part if you already know the story or find detail boring] To fill jelssie readers in, who haven't followed the trauma on my other blog, while I was out it stormed, and when I got home 3 things wouldn't turn on, one of them being the fridge. The shock has worn off: I was in a bit of a panic esp about the fridge, and I watch a lot of TV so the broken set top box really bugged me. Although, I have been thinking for some time that I should watch less TV, so this is a good experience. And upon further evaluation of the fridge situation, there is a lot to be thankful for. First, it was free in the first place. I've had it for almost 6 years, and it was a gift second hand. So that has been an enormous blessing. Second, it's just a fridge, not a freezer. Which annoyed me when I got it, and I bought a freezer separate, but now the benefit is huge. On the weekend the fridge happened to be pretty empty, whereas the freezer is pretty full. I transferred the freezable stuff over. I cooked "dead fridge stew" and froze it last night. There were a few bags of things to put in the bin, like almost empty bottles of mayo and lemon juice, it's good to cull stuff periodically. A couple of phone calls to repair people eventually got me an over-the-phone diagnosis. I described the problem and made the noise, he said "buy a new fridge". I am very pleased that I didn't have to arrange and pay for a repairer to come and look in person to find that out!

[start again here]

So now that the fridge is off, and empty, the worst is over. And at this point, I am relaxed. I'm going to wait until flatmate returns and share the decision burden with her.

Here's an idea though. Do we need a fridge? We have a freezer, is that enough? Because fridges are so useful and so good at what they do, we don't just rely on them, we take them for granted. It NEVER occurred to me to go without one, and how long have fridges been around? 3 generations? It can't be impossible. I have googled, and of course there are people living an alternative fridgeless lifestyle for the planet. The idea excites me a lot, even though I use the fridge for a lot at the moment. Would my diet and cooking habits have to change very much? I wonder. Perhaps a compromise, get a little fridge just for milk and cheese.

http://moreintelligentlife.com/story/don039t-fight-room-temperature

3 comments:

  1. You're crazy to live without a fridge, in my humble opinion

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, they are well worth the money. But on the other hand, still having a freezer, I've found the first 2 days of no fridge less annoying than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with George. Don't scrimp on something like a fridge. Even though it costs a large sum of money, they last a long time & you get your money's worth.

    ReplyDelete