Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Superior stirring.

It's important to have the right tools and technique when it comes to stirring tea. Stirring tea with a handy pen will result in a whirlpool of tea without mingling the layers of strength and sweetness—honey or sugar will be at the bottom. From experience, watercolour pencils absorb the tea and dissolve. Using a teaspoon instead of a pen or pencil will ensure quick and thorough invigoration of the tea ingredients, due to the broad dish shape. The correct method of stirring tea (as heard on the radio) will improve mixing even more: do not stir in circles and create a whirlpool. Instead, stir from 1.30 to 7.30, or NE to SW, i.e. halfway around the cup, back and forth.

4 comments:

  1. At some point, will you be discussing the whole milk before water or vice versa debate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't feel strongly about milk. I only add it to some chais. I add it afterwards for temperature control. I also add cold water to my tea to cool it down. That's probably wrong, but I'm impatient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I heard that on the radio as well. And you're not supposed to clink your teaspoon against the inside of the cup as your stir too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the comments, Jess Jo!

    ReplyDelete