Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Observations of a common room fridge

There's a communal fridge that sits in the common room I frequent at uni. It's usually quite full. A couple of semesters ago, someone was designated to clear out the fridge weekly. Not so last semester nor this semester. It was driving me nuts, so I decided to clear it out. This is what I discovered:
  • 70% of fridge contents was moldy food/drink/diary
  • 25% was empty food containers, often with utensils inside
  • 5% was "real" food
Also, the fridge interiors were feral as. People had spilt things, but not cleaned up after themselves.

It seems that there are two categories of people: people put food in the fridge and promptly forget about it, and people who remember.

I think people forgot about food because containers were often inside plastic bags, hiding the contents of the bag.

Common fridges never work well, do they?

No comments:

Post a Comment