Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Are you where you thought you'd be?

Wendy's son is doing trials and choosing his future from the UAC book. Are you where you thought you'd be, when you chose a career? I am, if you count plans not wishes. I thought I'd like to be a mum by this age, but that's not something you can plan. As far as plans go, I'm where I wanted to be. I remember having a planning session with Dad about deciding what to do in year 11, because I was pretty aimless, happy enough to hang around the house playing the piano and reading, and we planned that by 22 it would be nice to have a job that was quiet and sort of creative like illustration, and have moved out of home. Aim high.

I discovered the B Design at the Uni open day some point in year 12, which was a relief because it gave me something to put down for my UAI preference. Got the marks, did the course. Thought it would be nice to work somewhere like Matthias Media, and at age 22 I started working here. Dad calls it "lap theory", when you just potter away unambitiously and eventually God drops something in your lap.

Rather boring story, but I'm glad that it worked out this way.

3 comments:

  1. If you told me ten years ago that at this point in time a) I'm nearly an accountant and b) I'm quite excited about becoming an accountant, I would have snorted in disbelief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you've been at MM for that long now?

    I am no where near where I thought I would be, and yet God has taken me places I had never even contemplated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true for my job too - just dropped in my lap when I wasn't even looking.

    ReplyDelete