Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Arise, miffed shoppers.

Further to my milk rant, I was chatting with my friend Sarah last night about supermarkets and she shared her deliberate semi-rebellion with me. She hardly ever goes to the supermarket anymore, she shops a lot at the local deli around the corner. She says it's not a lot more expensive if you are only shopping for 2 people. And a bonus is that she knows the shopkeepers and gets a smile when she walks past. Also, she shops a little bit and often, basically popping in a getting exactly what she needs for each meal, one onion, one chicken breast, some fresh pasta etc. More freshness and less wastage.

I'm not surprised if it would work out not costing a lot more, because I know the independent butcher is cheaper than Coles meat, plus you can ask for a specific portion, not a half kilo package or whatever. Not to mention the cheap fruit shops at Kingsford. And the vietnamese bakery.

So my feeling is that if I avoided the supermarket I'd mainly be missing the tinned food, the freezer section and the junk food. I feel a challenge coming on! No Supermarket September!

3 comments:

  1. I heart jelssie too but I only know one of you in person...(hi Elsie from me and Lionel in the UK! I look forward to meeting Jess one of these days). You should check out my sister-in-law's blog about not going to the supermarket for a whole year! http://beyondthetrolley.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bronwyn! That blog is just what I need to keep going. Hooray for blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bronwyn!! Thanks for dropping by, it's lovely to hear from you :) How did you hear of us by the way? And thank you for the link to your sister-in-law's blog :)

    ReplyDelete