Thursday, April 4, 2013

Easternomics.

This year, there were a lot of hot cross buns around. At the office we bought and compared various baked goods in the leadup to easter. There is so much variation! Chocolate chip in white bread, chocolate chip in chocolate bread, fruit with orange peel, fruit without orange peel, let alone size, and ratio of raisins or chocolate chips to bread. So I've probably eaten about a dozen hot cross buns this year.

On the other hand, I went totally eggless until Easter Monday, when my flatmate gave me a couple of little leftover egg hunt eggs. I just never got around to buying chocolate just because its in the shape of a hollow egg or rabbit, cos I can get chocolate all year round anyway. And I don't know why, but Easter eggs and bunnies seem like a family thing, for kids to have a shiny chocolate stash once a year, and since I'm not a kid and I don't have kids and my parents got rid of easter egg traditions very early on, hollow chocolate wrapped in foil has fallen to the side of the road. But fresh hot cross buns are for grown-ups and for putting butter on and for sharing and and you can get them from artisan bakeries and they're limited edition and seasonal. So I focused on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment