Friday, April 5, 2013

Constant learning

In my current role at work, I get to rotate across at least four different roles in three years. That means constant learning, and constant learning hurts.

In each new role, I've had to learn different concepts, different systems and different skills. In the beginning, it really hurts my brain. I am really slow at performing the task and I document processes as meticulously as I can. There's two different processes going on when you learn to do something: there's the why (understanding what you're doing) and the how (actually being able to perform the task). In the beginning, I don't fully grasp what I'm doing, so I rely heavily on my documented processes. Over time, as I do the task repeatedly, I begin to understand what I'm doing a lot better.

I'm at the brain hurting phase and I have to consciously stop from myself from thinking, "I'm so slow and stupid! Why can't I get this the first time round? Why is this hard to understand?" and remind myself this is part of the learning process and soon enough, I will be efficient and proficient. I remind myself of times when I've mastered a new role and exceeded the expectations of others.

I'm always thinking at the back of my mind, "How would I explain this to a complete newbie? To someone who'll be in my shoes at the next rotation?"

This is what I would do:
  • Give an overview of organisational structure of the department: who's who and who you need to know
  • Give an overview/big picture of the task at hand
  • Explain and walk through a spreadsheet before showing someone how to do it
  • Show and explain to someone the end product (e.g. a printed report) before showing them how to put it together
  • Show them how to do the task, and then the second time round, getting them to drive and perform the task under supervision
  • Speak slowly and clearly, with pauses
  • Repeat yourself several times
  • Be patient
  • Lower your expectations: expect mistakes and questions
  • Provide a detailed instruction manual with screenshots (or allow the trainee time to take notes while you're explaining)
  • Encourage copious note-taking!
  • Tell the trainee it's okay if they don't really understand the first time round or if they feel confused or overwhelmed
Maybe some people are really good at getting things the first time or without taking lots and lots of notes. Not me. I have a Word document at work that's nearly 50 pages filled with screenshots and instructions on how to do my job. It amazes me how people just show you something once and then implicitly expect you to know how to do it next time. I can't do it without taking notes and screenshots, especially since a lot of my tasks are monthly: I'm bound to forget how it did it thirty days later!

People who've done something for years often have forgotten what it's like to do something new for the first time, to see a programme or a particular spreadsheet for the first time. I hope I never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment