Friday, October 9, 2009

Boring main? Tasty side!

In my attempt to make Mediterranean tuna and rice pie healthier, I substituted:
  • tuna in oil for tuna in brine
  • semi-dried tomatoes for the nearly fat-free semi-dried tomatoes
  • bocconcini for low-fat ricotta
In the end, it turns out I also sacrificed flavour. It just tasted bland and I momentarily lost my appetite for tinned tuna. I froze half the dish, ate 1/4 and chucked out a 1/4 because it sat in the fridge for so long.

However, today I gave it another chance. I defrosted and heated a piece and served it with following diced:
  • 1/2 egg tomato
  • 1/2 lebanese cucumber
  • 1 boiled egg
  • 1/2 ripe avocado.
I seasoned the above with salt & pepper, and served it with a little bit of Kewpie mayo (i.e. heart attack mayo because it's 80% fat. I kid you not. Check the label!).

It made the bland dish taste so much better!

So if you have a boring main, make sure you have a tasty side :)

2 comments:

  1. haha, what odd things you eat jess..

    I am however impressed that Elsie has gotten you on the kewpie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wrong, jess! it's an Elsie jelssie.

    What I would have done is put it in a toasted sandwich with sweet chilli sauce.

    ReplyDelete