Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The easy habit.


The most important thing about setting up a good habit isn't how wonderful the activity is, the wonderful exercise machine you're going to use for an hour a day. It is how easy it is. So the ideal exercise to do every day might be a 10km jog or something hardcore. The realistic exercise to do every day is probably something heaps less. You really want the bare minimum as your new habit, like 15 minutes of yoga before you have a shower (plug for the yoga studio app). Or 15 minutes walk around the block after dinner. Cos you can probably manage that, whereas 45 minutes of hard sweat is something you'll find an excuse to avoid, and the habit will die.

The other thing you might notice I've done there is ATTACH the habit you WANT to the habit you ALREADY have. So you don't have a shower until you've done yoga. The shower habit is already strong, you're just adding a step. It's only 15 minutes of yoga so it's not that hard to manage, and it isn't so much exercise as "prelude to a shower".

Habit's I've got are, whenever I need to wash my hair, I do Jillian first. Hair is half dirty so I might as well get a sweaty workout done and get value out of the hair-washing, and then be all clean for a couple of days. Also, with bible reading, I now use the Daily Reading Bible, which takes about 10 minutes so it's not hard, I find the questions really good, and I do it at lunch time because I need a break from screens and noise anyway. I used to scoff a bit at the idea of short devotionals when I could just read a chunk from the bible, but there is psychologically an advantage in having a short convenient reading.

The important thing is, sustaining it. When you start doing something, imagine yourself doing it for the rest of your life. Yeah, that's hard. So 10-15 minutes every day for the rest of your life works out heaps better than 45 minutes for two weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Jess, that's helpful. I'm going to try and set up some sort of lunch time jogging routine. Of course right now it sounds doable and exciting but I'm really hoping I'm actually still doing it a few weeks from now. I like the idea of attaching the habit to something existing.

    One thing I did take exception to though, was this-

    "might be a 10km jog or something hardcore."

    What's up with the 'or' in that sentence, Robertd de Castella?



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "or something SIMILARLY hardcore" is what I meant. I've never jogged 10km before but I assume it's really hard.

      A friend told me last night that you should exercise before eating, not after eating. I hope that didn't mislead you either.

      All the best Ben! Now I feel like a motivational guru.

      Delete