Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Throwing away books.

I was keeping some design books because a) I forgot I had them cos they were in a box in a cupboard, b) they were given to me, and throwing away gifts is rude, c) I'm a graphic designer, I feel like I should respect books about my profession and get some credibility from them somehow. Not that I even thought that at the front of my mind, but that's pretty much what made me blind to getting rid of them, even though I NEVER use them.

But I really wanted to make shelf-room for my sheet music, and 4 big design annuals were taking up a lot of space. I had the stunning realisation that I didn't really want them. Also I didn't need them. Then, I wondered if I should return them to the giver. Uh oh. So I emailed her, and she said no, I could chuck them. So I went home and put them in the recycling bin.

Things I've done with other books recently: taken a novel to read on holiday and left it in WA; given a cookbook a second chance, and then throwing it in the bin a year later, uncooked from. Donated chick-lit to the opshop. Found a sewing book that was mums, and returned it.

The thing I've realised is that hoarding involves very little thought, it's just a compulsion. But culling and decluttering involves really looking, evaluating, and making a decision. It's empowering. I think that's why I'm so obsessed at the moment. But I've almost run out.

No comments:

Post a Comment