Monday, March 11, 2013

I feel like a new me.

This is the after-effect of the '6 months no shopping challenge'. I recently started culling my summer/autumn stuff that no longer deserves a place in my wardrobe. Shirts I didn't wear all summer because of slight size creep or change in my style, going to my sister. Cardigans that are only fit for the bin, going into the bin. And I am restocking very carefully, with the shirts I have been making in staple colours, and some obsessive cardigan browsing. (NEW CLOTHES ARE AMAZING I LOVE THEM) So I feel a bit proud of my wardrobe, it's getting marginally easier to get dressed in the morning. Also, I now have a mirror, so I can see what I look like before I get to the bus stop. That kind of helps.

However, there is another change afoot, which isn't to do with what I am buying or wearing, but how I am wearing it (probably thanks to the mirror):

 I have started tucking shirts in. This is a small behaviour change, to be sure, but it is a radical change in my presentation. This is a total revelation to me, because I have been an untucker forever. Tucking in a shirt is something Dad does. But suddenly I have reconsidered. There is something confident and put-together about a tucked-in shirt. It turns casual clothes into smart/work clothes instantly. And it doesn't even have to be a business shirt, it can be any shirt long enough to tuck in. A "good" tshirt can look nicer tucked in than untucked. Every outfit gets poshed up a notch simply by tucking the shirt in to the skirt or trousers.

No comments:

Post a Comment