Saturday, January 5, 2013

Vanity

I really love the idea of having a vanity (or dressing table); an area in the bedroom where I can sit down and do my makeup in the morning. Currently, my makeup sits on my study table and I run back and forth from my  mirror (attached to my bedroom door) to my study table as I do my face.

I love the idea of a vanity because it means an opportunity to indulge in my love of vintage furniture. My friend from the States has the most beautiful retro vanity and I love it! It also adds a bit of glamour to your daily routine.

I like the look of these, but they don't quite compare to my aforementioned friend's vanity:

Image source: http://everythingfab.tumblr.com/post/170880804

 Image source: http://thatvintageshop.com.au

Image source: http://www.pbteen.com/products/hampton-vanity-tower-and-super-set/

I have a large bedroom, which could definitely fit a vanity, but I'm hesitant to buy one because I'm a renter. Such is the life of the renter: you never know if your next bedroom will have a built-in wardrobe or what size the room will be. If I weren't in the midst of getting my professional qualification, I'd probably get rid of my study table and replace it with a vanity.

One option would be to get a small table and attach a lovely vintage mirror that I already have, to the wall above the table - a modest, makeshift vanity that would suit the unpredictability of renting.

But there are relatively smaller vanities available too:

Image source: http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30158273/

I shall keep my eyes out at second-hand furniture stores and on Gumtree.


1 comment:

  1. I also would love an old proper dressing table, mainly because I have a lot of sets of doilies from Grandma, called "duchess sets", which have one big piece and 2 small side pieces. They go on a vanity with different levels, a low middle and 2 higher sides. We had one when I was little. But they are really not space efficient, they have only tiny drawers, and I can't dedicate a whole dresser just to storing my few beauty products. You could get some suctioned storage and stick it all to your mirror?

    ReplyDelete