Thursday, January 17, 2013

Braces. It's been a long time.

A very exciting piece of paper... final appointments!


I now have appointments to get my braces off! Hurrah! Rejoicing is foretold, and many apples. One month to enjoy this epic chapter of my life. One last braces post on this blog, originally dedicated to the ranting of two friends with braces.

After a while, you really forget about them. You eat what the heck you like, with a few exceptions, like really chewy lollies. You don't worry about them in photos, I found that if I was self conscious and tried to smile discreetly I looked awkward and the braces were more obvious than if I did an open toothy grin.

But every so often I get frustrated, usually when they aren't coming off in the near future and I've made up some arbitrary deadline like my birthday. When I think about 3 long years of braces. The braces themselves don't bother me much. Like lots of things, really. Being single for example, 29 years of it is frustrating to think about, it feels unfair, but it doesn't annoy me from day to day.

I have super bones, apparently, really resistant to moving teeth around. Rare bone metabolism. The gap that took almost 2 years to close, bounced halfway back open in about 2 months. I hope I'll reap some sort of reward in my old age and never break a hip.

Finally a lot of people in my life at the moment haven't known me before braces. My church, and half the office. I wonder if they notice my braces as much, and how quickly they'll notice them gone, and if I'll look weird, like when someone shaves of a beard.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy whenever I think about it. It won't even make much difference to my day to day life, it's just awesome to close the chapter.



No comments:

Post a Comment