Thursday, January 3, 2013

Things I like about Japan

  • The train seats are heated, so your backside is nice and toasty in winter, if you can get a seat on the train.
  • People queue up to get on the train, but they step aside and let passengers off first before getting on themselves. AMAZING! This could never happen in Sydney.
  • People generally respect the rule of not speaking on your mobile phone on the train.
  • I like seeing Indians and Middle-Eastern people speak Japanese. Turns my brain upside-down.
  • I like receiving little freebies or gifts with my purchases. Doesn't happen all the time, but I like it when it does!
  • I like Japanese drugstore cosmetics and skin care products. So accessible, affordable and such good quality.
  • Transport is clean, efficient and on time.
  • They have an excellent transport card system: put money in the card, use it at the ticket gates and at the shops.
  • They have awesome convenience stores everywhere. I like them much better than the Sydney ones.
  • Japan embraces cute. Hence, lots of cute mascots around. You will see men with cute soft toys dangling off their bag (okay, I only saw one, but you would NEVER see that in Sydney!).
 Other thoughts about Japan:
  • It's interesting being in a monocultural society. It's so much easier to pick out the foreigner. It's so different to being in a multicultural society, where you're used to everyone being different.
  • There's a lot of Chinese tourists in Japan. Saw what I thought were Japanese women in kimonos in Kyoto - WRONG. Just Chinese tourists dressing up. Don't be fooled!
  • I really love the culture of cute in Japan, but it's not something I can bring back to Sydney. By cute, I mean Sanrio characters printed on everything, the fashion, the makeup, everything!) I can't do cute during business hours - that's not the image I want to convey at work. And I can't do cute in personal hours - just doesn't work in a Sydney context. I'm too old for cute. I love cute nonetheless!

2 comments:

  1. It's true about not being able to bring everything home with you. In Africa I loved that people dressed in bright colours, esp because the landscape was drab and the people were dark. Clothes were just so vibrant. But in Sydney that would look messy and we can't pull it off.

    ReplyDelete