Friday, May 18, 2012

Winter mornings: difficult.

My morning functionality has dropped to about 15% since I got back from holidays. I'm TRYING to make it as easy as possible for myself: I am choosing my clothes the night before, putting them on the end of my bed before I get in at night, so that when I wake up in the morning I can pull them under the doona and warm them up before I get dressed. Sometimes I get dressed under the doona too, camp dorm style, to minimise exposure to the shock of the cold.

I also have a fridge stocked with salad ingredients in it, to make a sandwich or a salad for lunch. Today I looked in the fridge at my chickpeas and baby spinach and thought "I might buy lunch, just this once" but then overcame temptation, because how pathetic, I'm going to waste money on a salad sandwich in the city when I have the ingredients and the time but I just can't cope with putting stuff in a container.

And last night I resolved to scoot to work this morning, got my shoes and backpack and everything ready, but in the morning I was paralysed with indecision and stayed in bed wondering if I was fit enough, until it was too late to scoot, and I had to catch a nice, warm bus instead.

I used to think I was a winter person, a cold weather person, but I think that was just because I like the clothes, how everyone looks better dressed with long pants and a scarf, or stockings or whatever. I like the appearance of winter, but not, I have now realised, the cold. I do not like the cold.

2 comments:

  1. Sydney is pretty miserable in the cold :( For me, electric blankets, thermals & lovely handkitted accessories (hats, scarves, gloves) help. I also sometimes think about getting those pocket warmers you can heat in the microwave, but I have no need for them. You might!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both but the best time is the changeover time, cool enough to wear jeans, warm enough to not wear 3 jumpers. There are things I am realizing I like about both heat and cold, I just don't really like continually being really hot or really cold.

    ReplyDelete