Monday, May 7, 2012

Singing in Africa not quite what I expected.

I played the piano at church in Africa this morning, it was quite difficult. Its not a strongly musical church, only one fellow who plays the keyboard and sings, so was very keen to have a tiny break while I played. It was a good experience but jolly hard work:  I couldn't hear myself too well. The only buttons i could press on the keyboard are the keys, so everytime I went to play i had to get the chap to turn it back on for me, or get off the string sound. My regular fills and intros confused people so after the first song I dropped fills in favour of a short pause and played simple tune intros. The sustain pedal actually did the opposite, ie, the keyboard naturally sustained and the pedal cut the sustain when I pressed it. And there was no song leader, other than the service leader who was as soft as me. I've never appreciated a song leader so much as I do now. The congregation literally hijacked the tempo because of a few loud slow singers who slowed everyone down and I had to slow down to play with them. God bless all you song leaders.

1 comment:

  1. And here was me thinking we just assisted by taking a deep breath at the right time :)

    ReplyDelete