Monday, May 14, 2012

Simplifying.

I've come back from holidays with the realisation that there is a lot going on in my life in Sydney that I don't need. Too many clothes, too many TV shows, that sort of thing. I did not hear any news from Australia while away, and I seem to have missed nothing, for example. Therefore, I am going to black out the news from now on.

Today I culled my Facebook friends. I got rid of a hundred people who were either inactive, had nothing to do with me, or I don't really like them, etc. I know I could just hide them and keep them all without being annoyed or reminded, but why do I need a fake high number of friends I completely ignore? Just get rid of them and have a true number of people I want to be friends with or remember in any kind of active online way.

I also had a big inbox when I got back, but basically none of it was actually work. That was an hour of deleting. So I unsubscribed from all the stuff I like but don't really need to get news about several times a week.

This is like decluttering but of time and mental space, not mess and physical space!

3 comments:

  1. Oh unsubscribing from things is so good! Sometimes all the newsletters and junk gets so overwhelming. I also find it is good to unsubscribe in terms of spending money - the more 'special offers' I see, the more I'm tempted to spend. But if I never see them, I won't even know about that thing that I didn't know I needed that's now 50% off, and I'll be no worse off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Jess, I'm all for simplifying and decluttering. I could do some more online decluttering myself. Glad to see I'm still your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've deleted anyone who'll read this blog, check, and then be sad about it. I can be refriended, but I doubt the people I deleted would care, which is why I deleted them :)

    ReplyDelete