Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Multiple punctuation marks

I used to be a person who would use punctuation marks sparingly. One's enough, thank you very much. Then I met someone who would punctuate his emails with multiple exclamation marks!!! And question marks, too??? And then I was converted to using multiple punctuation marks if they were exclamation or question marks!!! I think it just conveys the excitement I would have if I were normally talking to you!!! Don't you think so, too??? Sometimes, I stick to two!!

Of course, I could never do that professionally, but personally, multiple punctuation marks are zany?!?!!

And what's with the dot dot dots...why can't I just stick to one sometimes...

1 comment:

  1. Uh oh ...

    (By the way, the dot dot dot is called an ellipsis and it's used when you're trailing off in the middle of a ...)

    I think that multiple punctuation marks are best used sparingly to highlight particular things and the impact that they have. Especially interrobangs! If they are overused, they lose their impact and just become noise. That's just this editor's preference though.

    ReplyDelete