Tuesday, February 15, 2011

KESC Review: Wang Wang Shanghai Silverstar Restaurant

Speciality: whole fish in Szechuan sauce with noodles

Jellyfish

Chicken in wine (drunken chicken) at the back. Some pork dish with pancakes in the front. Latter was sweet.

Dumplings aka xiao long bao 小龍包

  • They have seating upstairs, so can cater to slightly larger groups. We had nine peeps.
  • They served us with disposable cutlery: wooden chopsticks, plastic spoons, plastic cups
  • The tables looked quite new
  • Their sizzling plate was not in the shape of a cow
  • The food came quickly
  • They were reasonably attentive with water.
  • I didn't pay too much attention to the food, except that I was satisfied
  • I was surprised to find the Szechuan fish a bit sweet. I am not familiar with Szechuan cuisine (except that it's spicy). Is it meant to be sweet?
  • Very pleased to have three newbies join us
  • Very pleased to see people try jellyfish
  • They have dumplings and I squirted Hayley I think. I like pan-fried buns.Mmm...bunly goodness
  • I quite liked it. I'd go again :) Next time I'd like to try more of the fried/oily stuff e,g, shallot pancakes, taro cakes/buns, pumpkin thingys and egg custard bun which is one of my favourite buns!
  • Quite good value. I think it came to $84 for nine people? Can't remember how many dishes we ordered.
  • ABCafe ran out of super fudge brownie ice-cream! So Dave and Felix got two scoops of another choice instead. Also you don't get a mini biscuit with a hot chocolate; only with a chai latte or coffee.

7 comments:

  1. Brilliant review. 2 laughs. Plastic cups were annoying, but probably more hygienic. Can I add that the menu has a HILARIOUS typo, page 1: Custard Bums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sizzling plate not in the shape of a cow. Is that unusual? ANd you squirted Hayley with your dumpling juice. Glad I didn't squirt anyone, cos I was with all the newbies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, I thought sizzling plate might have done it :) Ah, the things you/I notice/don't notice. I think that is an excuse for us to get a sizzling plate elsewhere to compare. Hey if you go out to dinner on Fri night, perhaps you should get a sizzling plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lack of super fudge brownie made the dark chocolate seem better.

    Maybe you only get a mini biscuit if you're a fb friend or a newbie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe... although a mini biscuit is always appropriate with any hot beverage, I think. He must have forgot Elsie, in his anxiety about the lack of SFB ice-cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Another top restaurant that opens up when I'm not there. I love dumplings & would have gone there often.

    ReplyDelete