Monday, December 6, 2010

Some is better than none

Sometimes, I set myself some lofty aspirations e.g. I'm going to do an intense hour of exercise or I'm going to study for six hours today. But your day doesn't always go to plan. So what do you do? Throw in the towel?

No, I remind myself that "some is better than none". So thirty minutes of gentle to moderate exercise is better than none. Two hours of study is better than none.

Then I remind myself, some days I can achieve my lofty aspirations and other days I can't. And that's okay.

As Geoff Huegill said in a recent Good Weekend,
To be your best, keep it simple. You can't be excellent every single day, but you can go out there and be the best you can be at that moment.
So on the days I am tired, I remind myself "some is better than none", and that I will have days when I can do more. On the days I have energy, I crank it to the max.

1 comment:

  1. True. I also find that if I don't feel like doing something like cleaning or jogging or study, I just set myself a goal to do a little bit. Walk around the block, or read one page; and then I get into it and do MORE than that, and I exceed my expectations and feel completely excellent.

    ReplyDelete