Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Counting the year.

End of Year is like Week of Birthday. All of a sudden I realise my life is slipping by, and it's a tiny bit depressing. A year goes so fast, you only get used to writing '2010' and you have to get ready to start writing '2011'. And what have I done? Nothing. Still me, just older. The end of the year is a whirl, which adds to the feeling of time slipping by.

But I know it's an illusion. A year is still a significant period of time. Most of the months moved at a normal speed. And a lot of things happened. Moving house, new flatmates, Eat Street, holidays in different places, new directions at work, different health things, spiritual growth, spiritual challenges, deeper friendships. And the start of 2011 will be a long, long summer starting with CMS Summer School, then just lots of swimming, eating fruit, work, church and friends.  It's a lot, really, when I take account.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. End of year is usually a scary time for me, cos I often look back & realise I haven't really accomplished anything but become 1 year older (& if I could do anything about that, I would).

    I guess a good thing to do would be to reflect on what God has taught us during the year. I'm sure there would be a few things we've learnt/done that would reap eternal benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good, JJ. Invisible benefits.

    Also, it's hard to appreciate the good things that are the absence of bad things. Lots of bad things didn't happen, like I didn't electrocute myself on my light fitting or kill anyone with my driving.

    ReplyDelete