Thursday, June 25, 2009

More fun than Googling your own name!

A while ago, when Wolfram Alpha came out in a buzz, I discovered the fun of searching names in it. Annoyingly it seems to be USA based, but it is fascinating to see popularity graphed over the last century. I was born almost at the peak of ‘Jessica’, which explains why I have always had to compete against other Jessicas in my peer groups. Diana peaks around the year my mum was born, and then has a secondary peak in the early 80’s, due to the royal wedding.

Related interesting name searches are the Regency Encyclopedia (via Austenblog for the password) and the recent NSW statistics.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, that's relevant for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name peaked more than 100 years ago! Most Elsies are aged 83.

    I love my name :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. Georgina peaked in the late 1970's, which explains why I typically meet Georgina's slightly younger than me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my name won't peak at all, infact they didn't even recognise it...perhaps i was doing it wrong but as far as i can tell there was no peak for "chlotaire"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I reckon it's worth missing out on a graph, just to have an unusual and interesting name!

    ReplyDelete