Thursday, June 18, 2009

Chocolate is breaking my heart.

It doesn't affect me at the moment, in my month of no treats at home, because I am no longer buying 250g blocks of chocolate. However, I could not let current developments pass by without ranting.

Cadbury have a new range of packaging. Their chocolate now comes with cardboard boxing to make it feel bulky. They charge the same for it, but you are getting less chocolate. What was wrong with paper and foil and value for money? Nestle are just as sneaky, their blocks of chocolate come with a piece of cardboard on the back, so there is 1mm less chocolate.

It's not just that there is less chocolate, it's the lying and cheating which is ruining this relationship.

6 comments:

  1. Are you sure you get less grams of chocolate than before? Have you checked the packaging?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confirmed it on the website, 250g is now 200g.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe this subtle change will cause thousands of Australians to lose weight over the next few years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back when I was young, Cadbury had 200g blocks and then they changed to 250g. So they're actually going back. That's why the saying used to be "A glass and a half of dairy milk in every 200g block".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that's true, they are being honest with regard to the slogan. Very important. So perhaps the shrinkage of the block is a return to classic Cadbury beginnings.

    However I still hold that the cardboard packaging is a sneaky disguise, and they should lower the price.

    Dredging up a related rant, I remember when Kit-Kats used to be wrapped in foil with a slip of paper, now they are foil-sealed for freshness and zero charm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Kit Kat was much better in the old version! I liked the foil!
    And yes, they should lower the price. But that's not likely to happen. People don't lower prices, they raise them. The fundamentals of economics, is that.

    ReplyDelete