Monday, June 22, 2009

Bible headings are spoilers

Warning! Spoiler alert! The ending to the book of Ruth will be revealed if you read on!

I was reading the book of Ruth last night. I got up to chapter three, and thought, "Ooh, there's some tension and suspense here!" Ruth and Boaz have just spent the night on the threshing floor (sounds saucy doesn't it), and Naomi, Ruth's mother-in-law, is convinced he will redeem her. Chapter 3 ends with,

Then Naomi said, "Wait, my daughter, until you find out what happens. For the man will not rest until the matter is settled today." (NIV)

I felt the tension! I felt the suspense! Will he? Won't he? Will he? Won't he?

And then the Bible heading ruined it all for me:



Boaz marries Ruth.

Okay, fair enough, I've read this a few times before, but just say this was your first time reading it. I'd be darn annoyed that the heading ruined all the excitement for me.

4 comments:

  1. I MUST say that this blog brings me much joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elsie! This is Jelsie gold!

    I think there is a market for a black-letter bible with chapters and verses but no headings. I shall write to Crossway directly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heheheh ... sounds like you're jumping on Gordon's bandwagon! (He hates the ESV subheadings too.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline - I'm tickled that this blog gives you joy :)

    ReplyDelete