Thursday, February 6, 2014

It's not that hard to eat healthy.

I googled "salad for work" today. (This was the first result.) I despair that healthy food recipes always looks so gourmet and unattainable. It's got fancy grains (Bulgar wheat??) or it's got figs and beetroot that didn't come from a tin. I'm sure it's delicious AND healthy, but I'm so intimidated by recipes with SEPARATE HERBS that if I didn't already have "basic healthy food skillz" I would give up and buy KFC already. I'm thankful that I know how to cut up a carrot and dip it in hommus. I'm glad that I can make a sandwich with cheese and tomato. Also, I can toast baked beans between two slices of bread in a sandwich press. I am able to peel a banana. It's boring, I know, but these things are healthy plus EASY plus CHEAP. That's good enough most days. I don't think TV chefs and food magazines do very much at all to improve the eating habits of non-cooks. They're for people who already love cooking food and are interested in doing it really well. The rest of us just want to put food into our mouths with as little effort as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment