Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Decluttering is a state of mind.

I have crystalised a thought. I will resist decluttering for others and resist joining them and helping when they ask.

I have always enjoyed decluttering, and even when I was a teenager I got $20 to clean up some friend's kids bedroom. Which was easy money because I found it satisfying. But whenever I've done that that, gone in like the marines, I think it hasn't made any long term difference. People need to do it for themselves, and have their own motivation to see change. If I DC for someone else it is counter-productive because DC is a state of mind. And there is great joy to be found in gaining control of stuff for yourself. Gaining control is the drug that motivates you to keep going! I shouldn't steal that from anyone.

Maybe I'll change my mind, maybe there are people who have the DC state of mind but just need more arms, or a second perspective as they throw things away, or something. But no! It's better to teach a man to fish than go fishing for him. I really want to draw a comic or something about decluttering.

No comments:

Post a Comment