Friday, September 28, 2012

Haircut plus upselling.

I'm not really obsessed with my hair at the moment, but I have a series of thoughts.

I have never coloured my hair. I want to avoid the commitment and the upkeep. So some hairdressers, when they see my virgin hair, do this:

"This is your natural colour? It's lovely!"
(But this is just to soften me up, because it's immediately contradicted by the following...)
"Have you ever thought about highlights?"
"Or a balayage, that's where we just lighten the ends."
"You've got a lovely base colour, you could get some lovely natural highlights."
The deflection response I tried on Sunday was to have my eyes closed and say nothing more than "hmm". I know I could get highlights, but I haven't asked for them. So just "hmm". Let it end awkwardly.

I got home and looked at my plain natural unhighlighted brown hair colour and I realised I liked it. I've always said "No" to colours on principle because it's how you should respond to upselling, and I'm too indecisive to make up my mind what to do anyway, but actually I like my hair the way it is. It's some sort of rare pleasant self-aware moment, when I realise I like something about myself. It's my hair, and I like it. And I'll be going grey soon.


2 comments:

  1. Love this - it's my experience every time. Always leaves me thinking, if you like it so much why are you suggesting I change it?!?!?
    Add to it I tell them my list of allergies and concerns that their products will cause a reaction. Then they get all creative about how they can change my (apparently no longer lovely) hair colour without chemicals touching my skin.
    My grey has started coming in - so far I don't mind - it's like a natural highlight! :-)

    ReplyDelete