Monday, March 12, 2012

Flabbergasting.

Valentine and Glover were discussing moments that feel like eternity, and one of them is the time when you squeeze the petrol pump handle and no fuel comes out because you're waiting for the man in the servo to push a button and release the fuel. Why can't it just come automatically when I squeeze the handle, they complain.

WHAT?

I had to turn to the people next to me and ask them if they knew about this. Somebody googled it, and said "I'm flabbergasted". Too right.

Another fuel fact from the ABC recently, a caller ranted about the 15 cents that replaces the zero when you start pumping fuel. Like it costs 15 cents for the fuel in the hose*, or something ludicrous. Have you ever noticed the fuel starting at 15 cents instead of zero, quickly flashing past when the dollars start climbing?

I hope your mind is blown.

* Stingy people apparently don't just shake the drips out of the pump handle, they lift up the hose and drain the fuel that sits in the loop.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realise there was a button pusher until quite recently. I sort of worked it out myself after shooting eye daggers inside the shop while waiting for the flow. I'd then see the guy lean over and press something. A-HA!

    Not sure why it can't be automatoc though. Design a robot, already, tech-heads.

    ReplyDelete