Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A name by any other name.

I was brought up 'Jessica', didn't get to be called 'Jess' til I went to senior high and then it was always with my sir name hitched on because there are SO MANY JESSES the same age as me. Jess K pointed out that on her blog comments it looks like she's talking to herself, hilariously lame, but actually there are three of us. Anyway, getting abbreviated was a sign of peer acceptance, and the family followed.

But I've just changed my Facebook name to Jessica. I'm making some moves back towards the long name again. Bit fancier, bit more syllables, bit of a point of difference with all the other Jesses, maybe won't get the first name + last name as much if my first name is a bit distinct.

Apparently if you have your identity stolen repeatedly the only thing to do is change your name. I'd give that a go. I don't know what I'd choose but it would be fun to pick. Maybe something like Jenny which feels similar, or maybe something totally whimsical. I don't think I'd do it for no reason though, mainly for the inconvenience to others.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Jessica...
    Surname! How did you ever learn to spell so badly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not an obvious spelling. Anyway, I have more important things to do.

    At least I'm likely to remember it now. I can already spell playwright, which is a pretty tricky word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have to change your google profile too- you're still posting as Jess! I unsuccessfully tried to be 'Amanda' when I first started work- but wouldn't answer when my collegues asked me for something because I didn't recognize they were talking to me! Oops. I'll try and remember to call you Jessica, but as a serial name shortener, I apologise in advance!

    ReplyDelete