Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The honeycomb divide.

Violet Crumble used to be my favourite chocolate bar. Maybe because it was the biggest. Value is important. Then somehow, Crunchie took the place of favourite honeycomb based chocolate bar.

You know how a Crunchie has a hard dense side and a light bubbly side? I always bite the hard side first so I can save up the bubbly side. Violet Crumble is light and dense with no bubbly bit.

I was thinking of switching back to Violet Crumble, to relive the good times. I had a Violet Crumble this week, and it wasn't that good. The only thing that impressed me was that I ate half and then left it for a few days and the honeycomb didn't dissolve from exposure to humidity the way I expected. But I'll never go back.

7 comments:

  1. Really? I still pefer Violet Crumble. I find Crunchie honeycomb sticks to my teeth too much cos it's a bit too sticky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting. I hadn't noticed the sticky factor.

    I do think the Crunchie has more chocolate on it though, the chocolate to honeycomb ratio is a bit weak in the Violet Crumble.

    It's a complex issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally agree re crunchie trumping vc. however i must say i hate the non-uniformity of the crunchie. bubbly bit ftw!
    when you try to bite off the chocolate around the edges (but not the top and bottom, because you need that to balance out the sweetness of the bubbly bit when you eat that last), you can never bit it off properly or cleanly from the dense bit. Nor does it undercut the top and bottom chocolate layers.
    The dense bit never melts in your mouth either.

    therefore, my ideal honeycomb chocolate would be a bubbly crunchie. However, my ideal real-world chocolate woudl be the crunchie as is: the frustration and pain caused by the dense bit is great as a reminder of how lucky we are to have the bubbly bit. almost like a reminder on how God's kingdom is now, but not yet, and we're still struggling in a sinful, imperfect world

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I have been out-jelssied. Who are you, mysterious commenter?

    I have long hated the dense side of the crunchie, but as you mentioned it certainly makes you appreciate the delicious bubbly side. I think that in this fallen world we also NEED the dense side, because a wholly bubbly crunchie would break from rough handling. It is the dense honeycomb which brings strength. Just as the hard times make us stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry people. Violet Crumble is much better. It's the crispiness. Crunchie is too... ugh. Almost not worth the calories. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Not worth the calories". That deserves a jelssie post of its own e.g. white chocolate Tim Tams are not worth the calories.

    I'm impressed by the amount of discussion this topic has generated. I've not really thought much about the two before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol oh this is what you were tlaking about last night! :)

    I love you guys. I mean girls. :)

    ReplyDelete