Wednesday, November 7, 2012

DVD Workout: Big motivation.

I've been doing Jillian for 18 months, as so has the friend I originally started with. We are both AMAZED that we have been able to keep going so long. Originally, I was motivated by being a bridesmaid to tone my arms a bit by the wedding, since all I did for exercise was a lot of walking and all you could see in my bridesmaid dress was my arms. Also, to offset my Eat Street Challenge shan dong chicken and all that. I asked A to join me for company, and she said yes with no particular aim at all. The bridesmaid deadline passed long ago, and we both kept going.

A and myself are both examples of people who started off feeble, with no exercise routine at all, and worked our way up to finishing a whole DVD and doing it a few times every week. I did start by measuring myself to see if my dimensions changed or I lost weight, but it was imperceptible and I gave it up, I don't care anymore. My body shape is pretty set. However, we both noticed a subtle difference we would describe as "more toned", and better posture and nice little things like that. Now I've got that, I am keen to keep it.

One other thing: the surprise reward has been enjoying feeling strong. I still can't do a set of proper push ups, mind you. But building any muscle at all was a totally foreign concept to me. I never expected to get stronger or enjoy strength.

So there it is. Exercise sometimes changes your motivations, and the payoff was different than I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment