Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Old diary.

I just went through my old diary, saving a few important things like addresses before I chucked it away. One of the things I found in the diary relates to throwing away old diaries: a list of thoughts from the book Unstuff Your Life.

- I am not my stuff.
- We build stories into stuff, so interacting with the stuff becomes interacting with a powerful story.
- Don't value stuff over relationships. Lend.
- It all ends up in landfill eventually, after you die if not before.
- Yes throwing out is hard, because I feel responsible for wastage and the environmental impact. Learn from that feeling not to bring things into the house in the first place.

Everyone is different, and different systems and thoughts work for different people. I personally need to acknowledge the "stories" of my stuff, but not let them control everything. Throwing away an item means throwing away the memories. Throwing away last year's diary means throwing away lots of reminders of events, random lists, even the way I organised my work in 2013 on paper. I got it for free from Elsie, it's from some French business. I glued a map of the CBD inside the front cover. The elastic broke and I repaired it and it broke again. So much history in one item! But I'm learning, I am not my stuff, life needs constant pruning, and I threw it away.

No comments:

Post a Comment