Tuesday, December 18, 2012

lolcups.


Look, my cup has lol on it. Today I did just that.

I was minding my own business, drinking my after lunch cup of peppermint tea, when a colleague rebuked me for slurping. It's true, I slurp, because slurping cools down hot tea as you drink it. Hot tip from me, notice the pun haha. I don't want to burn my top lip on my tea, so I suck it in quickly, and yes, it sounds like slurping. But not because I am vulgar, it's because I am dainty and my lips are so sensitive to the heat. Like a lady.

Anyway, there was a follow-up remark from this tactless Emma, which I now forget, but which at the time was a bit amusing, just when I had self-consciously filled my mouth up with my next swallow of tea. I thought "don't laugh now, or tea will splurt everywhere, that's always funny, when tea splurts, oh no it's going to be funny" and then I laughed. I made myself laugh thinking about how funny it would be if I laughed. That's like a time-travel plot loop, isn't it. And I lost my tea via my mouth and nose onto my keyboard, lap and carpet. It was hilarious, and actually my nose tubes felt lovely afterwards. That's not a very elegant way to finish a blog post. So I will add: Like a lady.

2 comments:

  1. Slurping is very popular in Mongolia. Even my very refined head language teacher slurps a bit. Just say it's a way of remembering to pray for us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! You should join in with joyful abandon. "When in Mongolia", I say.

    ReplyDelete