Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The demise of the toilet door

Has anyone noticed that when you go to use the restroom/washroom/toilet at shopping centres, the main doors are now missing? That is, you just walk into the restroom entrance, turn 90° a couple of times and there you are. Of course, the individual toilet cubicle doors are still there*, but I wonder what brought about the change. Cost-cutting? Health concerns? Traffic flow? Easier for cleaning staff to enter and exit?

*One cannot take individual toilet doors for granted. Once my sister and I went to use the public toilet in a foreign country...only to discover there were no doors! Needless to say, we lost the urge to go.

2 comments:

  1. I think 2 good reasons. Don't have to touch germy door handles on the way out, and don't get a door in your face in that little in-between-the-doors room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think it discourages bad behaviour in toilets; people can no longer barricade themselves in there to do unmentionable things in private because there is no privacy. I think the no door thing is good for that reason.

    ReplyDelete