Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Underrated.

For the sake of appreciating small things, this is a new series of posts about stuff which is quietly cool. First of all: the park.

I don't have a backyard, and my unit is not very windowy or sunny, so I have adopted the park near Randwick Pressy as my own, and it is my default choice on a sunny weekend when I just have to get out of the house.

Everyone loves the beach. The beach is nice, sure, but it's always sandy, grotty and filled with fitness freaks and exhibitionists, especially in summer. Parks are often very lovely and not as trendy as the beaches. They are more relaxed, with more personal space, and unless you are doing a lap around Centennial Park there is much less physical activity to make you vicariously tired. People are fully clothed, which I think is a bonus. And, trees are really nice. Lean against them to read a book, or lie on your back and look up through the leaves. Grass is nice, too. Grass is almost a topic in itself.

Enjoy parks wherever you can!

3 comments:

  1. I would put the fact that people are fully clothed as a minus! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like parks, I read while small child mucks around. We are tired of the playground so we fish rubbish out of the river with sticks and put it in the bin. I read in the park while he is asleep and you meet lots of friendly old people walking their dogs feeding ducks.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that, Julia! Make your own fun.

    ReplyDelete