Tuesday, October 27, 2009

KESC #1

Four bold challengers met last Friday for the first Kingsford Eat Street Challenge. Jess, Elsie, Caroline and Georgina.

We met at Pinocchio's, but quickly noticed that we had chosen the wrong place. It was the second restaurant on the street. This would ruin all our plans. So we convened a meeting and changed the Challenge to the first restaurant, Tropicana Singapore Laksa House. I took notes but can't find them atm, so here are my recalled observations:

The Decor:
Nice comfy booths, cool art on one wall.

The Staff:
The lady who owns the place took our orders and she is very nice.

The Food:
Between us I think we had a Seafood Laksa, which was my first laksa so can't compare to other laksas, Hainan Chicken, Curry Chicken and Hokien Noodles. The general consensus was good portion sizes, but not massive (I can't stretch it to 2 meals), a lot of noodles and good taste.

The Value:

Good Kingsford Value. All our meals were $8-10.

The Extras:
Air con wasn't up enough, there was help-yourself tea.

All in all, about a 3 out of 5. Good, but we wouldn't rush back.

We think we want Challenge bibs with a logo on them!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to remove previous comments due to too many errors :P I want to add:

    1. They played Teresa Tang for background music. I ♥ Teresa Tang. She's an old-school Chinese singer.

    2. I had a prawn curry, not chicken.

    3. Interiors are small, so not suitable for large groups.

    Good work Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like the laksa there. Quite authentic.

    The owners are also Christian!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another reviewer blog said the Laksa was the best in Kingsford but I have never had laksa before. It was sweeter than I expected and very yummy. But a lot of noodles. The noodle to meat ratio in all the meals was slightly stingy, but I guess it is cheap$.

    There are powerpoints at the tables for laptops.

    Thats nice to know the owners are Christian!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laksa is not really meant to have meat, actually. I think they've Westernised it here a little.

    ReplyDelete